Okay, I am breathing, I am forming coherent thoughts…or so I hope. Back when I was in high school my friend Molly introduced me to this amazing series she was into…The Mortal Instruments. This was back junior year. Now it’s been about six years and I think we can all assume how overly excited I was when this series became a movie. Remember this? The movie was good, stuck true to the book (except for Valentine’s hair and attitude…) I am trying so hard not to go to the bad place of overly comparing. Anyways, Shadowhunters aired just last night on Freeform (voice over: the new name of ABCFamily) and I was super hyped up. I love the series, plus it seems that everyone was well cast and ready to take these characters that I love so much to life.
So because my brain cannot seem to stop comparing the book from the show let’s see how this post goes.
Things that I enjoyed about the first episode:
- The cast seems great so far. I like the youthfulness of the characters. The Nephilim are strong and muscular but still have that young look about them.
- I like that they throw in the effects for the magic or not magic of the Shadow world.
- The runes look the way I pictured them. Not the black lines, I mean when they wear out and are meant to look worn out and blank or pink.
- The relationships so far seem to be staying true to the books.
- Character traits so far seem to be accurate. Jace seems to be Alec and Izzy’s brother for life; siding with Izzy on some things (ex. “demons dig blondes”) while also maintaining his parabatai relationship with Alec.
- Alec seems to be staying true to his nature by already giving me that amazing feel of “I can’t stand this silly red-headed mundane chick why does Jace even care? Can’t we just leave her in a ditch somewhere?”
- Jace’s overly vain nature shows up and it made me very
- Magnus Bane and Isabel Lightwood. That is all.
Things that I didn’t enjoy as much about the first episode:
- Jocelyn Fairchild/Morgenstern ran away without a trace of the Nephilim and her old life to escape her relationship with the Circle. To get away from the Nephilim and prejudices. The reason she stayed close to Madam Dorothea and Magnus was so she would know when Valentine would rise again. She wanted Magnus just for the protection he would offer when she realized Clary had the Sight. I didn’t like that she kept weapons in the show. She seems great don’t get me wrong but she had no intention of telling Clary in the books. I do understand why they did it in the show though but because I couldn’t get over it, I’m shoving it out there.
- Maureen…did she literally replace all of Simon’s friends/band mates?
- Why is it so hard to give Valentine the luscious blondness that both of his sons have? The reason people end up seeing him in Jace? Aside from certain mannerisms that is.
- Luke is a cop not a bookstore owner.
So it was already stated that there would be differences between the books and the show which sense, even I am intrigued by whatever the changes will be and look forward to being shown something maybe I didn’t consider. The chronological order so far is accurate enough while throwing in some (so far) interesting twists. We get to see Jocelyn throwing Clary over to Magnus and getting him to block her Sight. Episode one ends shortly after Clary’s two-day coma at the Institute.
So far as a book-lover I am pleased with what this show demonstrated and I am actually pretty excited to see what kinds of spins they toss into it. So if any of you enjoy this series or just started watching what do you think so far? Who are you excited to see on screen? What are you excited to see happen?
I for one will be happy when the vampires kidnap Simon…and then most likely in season two when they get to the Seelie Court…wowza! That’s quite some waiting isn’t it?